1 Sep 2019
Organic September is here, the annual time to celebrate all the things that set organic foods apart.
Foods that are certified as organic are grown or reared according to the highest standards and are usually of exceptional quality.
Although all our salmon is sourced responsibly, we are particularly proud to be one of just a handful of producers also able to supply certified Organic. Our BigFish Organic Salmon fillets are our premium product. They cost a little more than our standard range, but for lots of reasons they are also extra special:
- Natural life cycle. Our Organic salmon are grown from organic smolts (juvenile fish). These are only reared in the spring, following the salmon’s natural wild reproductive cycle.
- A balanced diet. The salmon eat fishmeal made with organic-approved, natural ingredients from sustainable sources which are GMO free.
- Perfectly pink. Only natural pigments are used in organic salmon feed. This can mean the fish is quite pale in colour.
- More freedom to roam. Salmon in organic systems are given more room to grow and shoal in their pens – usually twice as much space per fish than conventional systems.
- Environment. Organic salmon are reared in the cleanest possible locations, with a strong sea current. This and the low stocking density ensures the fish are lean and strong, which makes for an even better flavour.